To clean your windows after applying window film there are a few things you should know. Here are some tips on how you can do to keep a clear view through your windows and maintain the integrity of the film.
When you first apply Window Film:
- It is recommended to leave at least 60 days before cleaning them. It requires a curing time to ensure maximum bonding to the glass.
- Use a soft, clean, rubber squeegee with a premium quality rubber blade or a soft, clean, cotton cloth to prevent scratching of the surface and a streak-free finish.
- There are a variety of recommended cleaning solutions you can use, including:
- Over-the-counter items such as Windex, Glass Plus, or Invisible Glass.
- Specialty window film cleaners available that have a silicone cleaner compound. It is NOT recommended to use a cleaning liquid that contains ammonia.
- Make your own eco-friendly solution: Pint/Quart Spray Bottle + ½ part distilled or mineral water + ½ part rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and 3 drops of liquid soap. Shake well!
REmoving Tough Spots:
- When you need to remove those tough smudges, fingerprints, or even sticky glue residue do not use harmful solvents, but instead follow these tips.
- Use pure rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth. It will quickly dissolve the heaviest smudges or greasy fingerprints.
- For sticky glue residue or adhesive from masking tape, scotch tape, or decals, gently stroke the affected area with a soft cloth dabbed with pure acetone (nail polish remover). Acetone in small amounts is harmless to polyester films. It immediately dissolves adhesives and will evaporate quickly.
- Even though professionally-installed window film comes with a standard, durable, scratch-resistant coating, it is important to follow the care and cleaning instructions for your window film as noted above. If the window film gets scratched or damaged, it can be replaced. Call Evolutions Window Films at 1-888-899-4631 or contact us online.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions about Window Film page on our website for more information about care and cleaning of window film and other facts about window film.